September 3, 2011

Rainbow Fun

I've recently become a fan of Pinterest. I've been finding the best activities/crafts for kids! One that I "repinned" from my sister was called Rainbow Rice. It's basically colored rice that you can use with your kids as a replacement for sand...which can be messier! I'm not sure how DIY projects get a reputation for being inexpensive, but I felt I spent more on this project than I wanted to. I just happened to have an under-bed storage tub that was not being used to use as my play box. I'll probably leave it out for a while and then store the rice in bags or another container. While cleaner than sand, my boys still managed to make it a tad messy. I would suggest putting a large sheet or blanket down under your rice box and setting a few guidelines before starting! The boys seriously played non-stop with this for an hour! I actually found it quite therapeutic myself. I only wish I had discovered this at the beginning of the summer! But, we'll hang on to it for those upcoming cold and rainy days! ;)

 Waiting to unveil the surprise....




Directions: Put 4 cups of rice in a gallon size bag. Mix 1-2 teaspoons of food coloring (depending on how dark you want the color) with 3 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol. Pour the alcohol/color mixture in the bag of rice. Close the bag and mix it around until color is distributed evenly. Pour the rice out on cookie sheets to dry.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This looks very fun! Wondering if it would be too much stress for a whole classroom. :)

Unknown said...

I have this on my boards, too, can't wait to try it soon. :)


mcgrew [muh-groo]
-noun
1.Aaron, Haley, Landon, Reid, Micah

crew [croo]
-noun
1.a group of persons involved in a particular kind of work or working together.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23

As for me and my house, we will work for the Lord. Joshua 24:15




We were married in 2005 and have been best friends ever since. Now we're raising three little boys and are loving every minute of it. We are constantly learning about the character of God through marriage, parenting and daily life!

Click on each picture to learn more about our boys!


coahbutton

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Captivated Visions

Labels

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved