This past week presented me with a whole new aspect of a "scary mommy moment." If you're a mom you know these moments happen on a regular basis. These are moments when we see our kids in dangerous situations and feel helpless. I've posted about a few of these including a mishap with a stroller, and my first call to poison control. But this past Wednesday evening my sweet Reid gave me a scary mommy moment to top all that I've had so far! Aaron was away at Bible Study and I had just gotten the boys out of the bath. They were in the living room playing while I was in the back putting away towels and cleaning up after the bath. All of a sudden I heard Reid begin to scream. I ran in to the living room to find that he had apparently fallen over in his little toddler chair as it was now on top of him. He was on carpet and the chair itself is soft and light so I didn't feel that he could be injured that badly. Looking back, I think the fall just really scared him. I picked him up to inspect him as he was still screaming bloody-murder. He was crying that kind of cry that is so intense you wonder when he'll take his next breath. But then, as I continued to hold him, his eyes rolled back, he passed out and went limp in my arms. P.A.N.I.C! All I remember is screaming and running out the front door leaving my crying 3 year old behind. I headed to my neighbors house. Thankfully, I think the combination of the cool air and my running helped Reid snap out of it right as we made it to the front door. Besides being very pale, he seemed back to normal in a matter of minutes. My sweet neighbors were there to help check him out and calm me down. We decided it wasn't necessary to head to the ER as Reid was acting as if nothing had happened but I did take him to his doctor the next day to follow up. They diagnosed him with having something called a Breath-Holding Spell. We learned that this is actually somewhat common and thankfully is not life-threatening. While this is obviously good news, it doesn't make that evening or the memories of seeing his little face like that any less traumatic for mommy! I think we might just have a little drama-king on our hands! :)
Back to School
1 year ago



2 comments:
That is scary! That's not the first time that I have heard of a kid crying for so long that they pass out. When I was working in the baby room at a preschool there was a child there that their parent said that if they got to crying like that, that he would pass out. Thankfully, he never did while at school. That's not something that I want to see!
Such a scary moment! So glad he's okay!!!
Post a Comment