May 28, 2010

Mommy 911

This past week brought on a couple of scary mommy moments. On Wednesday I had put Reid down for a morning nap and began working on a couple of things around the house. A few minutes later I heard him start to cry. This is not unusual as he will often do this as he fights his sleep. But, it only took a few more seconds to realize that this was a different cry. I went in there to find his leg stuck in the crib rails. I, ofcourse, immediatly set out to free his leg. He, ofcourse, fought against this as he didn't understand that staying still would be the best help for me. It was wedged in there pretty good (if you've seen Reid's legs you'd understand what I'm talking about). I couldn't really move his body as this would make his body go one way and his leg another...not a good outcome! After a few moments of trying I decided to call my neighbor for help. She loaded up her boys and in moments was headed to my house. Thankfully, I was able to meet her at the door with Reid in tow and let her know that I had gotten his leg out. The second he was freed he stopped crying and was only left with a little bruise. Alissa told me that she had already gone over a plan of attack in her head. We could try some dish soap and other items but if those don't work we'll call 911. Thanks for being there Alissa! You're a wonderful friend and a blessing to have right next door! Obviously I didn't take the time to snap a picture of Reid in this predicament so I'll post some other recent crib pics! 
Now you can see how this little boy might get an appendage stuck in the crib. And may I remind you of how his big brother has been caught sleeping in the past?
On Thursday morning, Landon was in our bathroom with me as I was getting ready for a playdate. After finishing, I headed to the kitchen to get a few things ready for the boys before we left. A few moments later, I headed back. The moment I hit the bedroom door I was overwhelmed with the smell of bleach. Uh-Oh! I ran into the bathroom to find Landon's shirt and arms covered in Clorox Bleach cleaner. Thinking it might have gotten into his mouth I pointed to the bottle and asked him if he put it in his mouth. His response was "OK" which is usually his way of saying yes. While I'm still not sure this was the case, I treated it as such. I called Aaron who advised me not to panic but call poison control {1-800-POISON-1 if you ever need it} just for some tips on how to treat the situation. I was instructed to bathe him and give him 4 oz. of milk. I was also reminded to put locks on our cabinet doors. This particular bottle had been left out because it was just used the day before to clean the tub. I'm sure our file headed straight to CPS after I hung up the phone. Thankfully, it didn't seem to affect Landon and he is just fine. I'm sure I over-reacted to both of these situations, but they were definitely scary for this mommy!
Landon's bleach-stained shirt

3 comments:

Cassi said...

That is scary stuff... I don't think you overreacted at all! Glad both boys are ok! I once called poison control when Korben decided not wait on lunch and ate my deoderant! The joys of motherhood and the heart attacks that our dear children cause...sigh...

Anna said...

Oh gosh! Hearing those stories just sends panic through me! I know the feeling...Claire has brought me an open bottle of comet on more than one occasion.

The Mize of Texas said...

You have had a week! We have been there...Hayden jumped out of his crib when he was 15 months and broke his leg. That was fun!


mcgrew [muh-groo]
-noun
1.Aaron, Haley, Landon, Reid, Micah

crew [croo]
-noun
1.a group of persons involved in a particular kind of work or working together.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23

As for me and my house, we will work for the Lord. Joshua 24:15




We were married in 2005 and have been best friends ever since. Now we're raising three little boys and are loving every minute of it. We are constantly learning about the character of God through marriage, parenting and daily life!

Click on each picture to learn more about our boys!


coahbutton

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Captivated Visions

Labels

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved