April 7, 2010

Crew Cuisine

We really should eat in more often. This has been a famous saying around our house for a LONG time now. I remember as a single lady thinking that once I got married I would start cooking. When that didn't happen, I swore once we had kids I would start. Then, it was pushed back to once Landon started eating all table food. Well, that's been happening for a while and now our second child is starting to eat table food. I figured that if we didn't come up with a plan soon, our kids would consider Mickey D's and Taco Bueno a home-cooked meal! I had remembered a program on-line that someone in our Life Group turned us onto a while back. It's called Menu For The Week.com. While it's a great menu planner and has many of the features I was looking for (healthy, easy recipes, grocery lists) I found that it wasn't as customizable as I was needing. We don't eat a lot of red meat (I don't eat any) so we wouldn't be able to use almost half of the weekly recipes. Plus, there is a small fee involved. So, I came up with my own plan. Using the few recipes that we do have, I typed each up in their own Word document, including a grocery list. I created a weekly menu chart where all I have to do is copy and paste my pre-made grocery list into each day, print it out, and take it the store. While it's a little more work in the beginning, it seems to be getting the job done as we have stuck to our plan so far. Now, I'm just looking for new recipes to add to my repertoire! This is my weekly chart...
This is a sample recipe/grocery list and the one that we just happened to cook tonight! It's one of our favorites! Click to enlarge

Reid is starting to enjoy more table food with us each night! Tonight he had a little spoon practice. I forget how amusing it is to watch a baby this age try to pick up their food and make it in their mouth!
Finger-lickin' Good!

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Looks great! Way to go Haley! Now you only forgot to do one minor thing- e-mail your word documents to your sweet friend by the name of Tamara ;) Dropping of a sample by our house would probably be too much to ask, huh? :) Hope you are having a great week!

Unknown said...

YOU GO GIRL!! It is actually kinda fun when you get it all figured out, huh!

Anna said...

Look at you! You have already taken it to the next level. I'm totally trying that recipe. It looks yummy and very husband-friendly. Feel free to post or send some more!

Cassi said...

That's so funny... I've got a similar system! It's not quite as organized as yours but I make a list of meals to make for the week and then buy groceries accordingly. It makes it lot easier to grocery shop and cook! :) That chicken looks muy delicioso!! If you have any left overs... :)

Ben and Nikki said...

Wow! You're awesome and have it all together! I have tons of recipes if you ever want to have a playdate and trade!

c o'neill said...

Very cool. I like how you fixed it to work for you....no fee included! :)
I find a lot of our yummy dinners at

http://pearls-handcuffs-happyhour.blogspot.com

I have tried a lot of her stuff and it is easy. I also like it because her sidebar has categories you can click on and the recipies come up.

Good Luck!


mcgrew [muh-groo]
-noun
1.Aaron, Haley, Landon, Reid, Micah

crew [croo]
-noun
1.a group of persons involved in a particular kind of work or working together.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23

As for me and my house, we will work for the Lord. Joshua 24:15




We were married in 2005 and have been best friends ever since. Now we're raising three little boys and are loving every minute of it. We are constantly learning about the character of God through marriage, parenting and daily life!

Click on each picture to learn more about our boys!


coahbutton

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Captivated Visions

Labels

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved